During Hurricane Irene, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to give a speech in Spanish to alert Hispanic residents about the dangers of the hurricane. However, an honest effort to reach Spanish speakers turned into a typical misunderstanding of Spanish and led Bloomberg to be criticized around the Web. The goodwill attempt was considered “disastrous” because of his bad accent which was later parodied by a Twitter user who already has amassed more than 15,000 followers.
- [INFOGRAPHIC] The State of the Spanish Language
- Hispanic Population Grew 18% More Than Others In Washington D.C.
- The Hispanic Ad of the Week: “Viva Monday Night Football!” (J.R. Arinaga)
- Facebook Reinvents Itself With A New Profile And Music And TV Applications
- The Hispanic Ad of the Week: “Marruecos” (BBDO Argentina, Matarazzo)
Spanish Social Media